Make it Monday - Doilies!

Who doesn't need a little inspiration on a Monday morning?

For the next while I'll be running a new series on the blog every Monday featuring some cool DIY craft ideas. Some of the ideas will be mine and the rest will be featuring other crafty people out there in the blogging world. The posts are designed to give you some new ideas and hopefully inspire you to get out there and make something similar yourself.

This week I'm going to revisit the humble doily. I love them because they're cheap, they're in every op shop I go into, and they provide so many possibilities for crafty goodness.

Here are my favourites of the week:


Amanda over at Here Comes the Sun featured an easy and pretty paper doily garland on her blog. There's a tutorial available and it couldn't be simpler. Wouldn't these be lovely for a birthday party decoration or maybe for a wedding?


A new blog I discovered recently is Modge Podge Rocks by Amy Anderson. I found this doily stencil tutorial that has excellent step by steps. It's a perfect one to try if you're not confident with painting furniture but want to do something a little different.


A quick way to turn a doily into a piece of fabric art is to dye it and frame it in an embroidery hoop. I see hoops like these in op shops all the time for 50c each. Grab yourself a $1 doily while you're there and you have a nice textured piece of art for your wall for next to nothing. For the tutorial including instructions on how to dye see The Haby Goddess.


And then there's always Martha. In this tutorial Martha (or more accurately one of Martha's minions) shows us how to stencil card using doilies. I thought this one would be a nice easy one to do with the kids. See Martha Stewart doily-stencil for all the details.


Another stencil idea here by Rebekah of A bit of sunshine. She uses paper doilies and a gold paint to create this pretty design.

For more doily ideas visit Six Things to Make with Doilies where I'll show you how to use a doily to makeover a kids tshirt.

If you would like to submit a blog post to be featured on Make it Monday please email me on mybornagaincreations@gmail.com, I'd love to hear from you.

Have a wonderful week everyone!!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Becs, my gorgeous friend Kylie has told me so much about your blog! I can't wait to read through all your fabulous posts. I adore this doily post. I have a drawer full of paper doilies - and now I've got a head full of inspiration - thank you!!

    Have a fab week hon.
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leah,

      Thanks so much for your lovely comments. I'm so pleased that you found some inspiration for your doilies, I can't wait to try the garland for my daughter's birthday party. She's having a Rainbow theme so I'm going to dye them first - fun! Hope to see you around the blog again sometime, and if we're thinking of the same Kylie you're right, she is gorgeous!
      x Becs

      Delete
  2. Who would have thought doilies could have so many gorgeous uses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love doilies but sadly my husband doesn't share my feelings so I have to be careful about how many doily crafts I put around the house. He doesn't like crochet either - can you believe that!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments, I love to hear from you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...